Sunday, 11 October 2015

(5) The Mighty Shower…

Fact: out of a modern shower head comes 7 liters of water per minute…
Some people swear they only shower for 5 minutes… well if that is true they probably shower two times a day which make the average the same as the normal 10 minutes showering everybody else does, right?
A minimum of 70 liters pure water goes down that drain every day.
I am not sure if everybody showers every day though. Nowadays it is very common to do, but I am sure the average is less frequent. Twice a week, once a week maybe?
Why do we shower?
- to get clean - to feel refreshed
The first one suggest you could not get clean with just local washing, which is totally untrue!
The feeling of refreshing is no doubt true and there is no substitute for it as far as I know. 
But is the feeling of refreshing worth the spilling of 70 liters of drinking water? And addrd up the energy that was needed to heat up the water. Nature pays a toll for your feeling of freshness! I wonder if people that call themselves conscious and aware, can get away with stating its okay to keep doing it.


Eye-opener

Last year I met a lady that lived in our ecovillage for some years and had moved out. She lived in a house without a shower, but had running water and heating. She once told me that she gladly came here to get a shower, because it was a few weeks ago she had had one…
Yes I did hear it correctly but my mind was still trying to make sense of the things I heard.
No shower for a few weeks? Is that even possible?
And no, she was not smelly or looking like a bag-lady! It seemed she found a way to cope with the lack of having a shower.
Interesting! Right?

The little scientist in me could not resist doing an experiment on the matter.
Local washing with a sponge, and a weekly hair wash in a bowl filled with not more than 10 liters of warm water.
Wow! It worked! And for some reason I did not even had to use soap that often. My theory is that soap removes a lot of good bacteria that normally work to keep you from smelling. Without soap the balance is undisturbed and you will not smell… you don´t believe me now do you? Well its true! Don´t take my word for it, test it on yourself!
In the beginning I was very critical on how I smelled, and of course sometimes I did smell like sweat. On the other hand did I smell other people that took a shower every day, they smelled way worse! 
In the past I do remember that sometimes when I came out of the shower and did some heavy work after that, I smelled like sweat very bad! I almost took another shower! This proves that the natural conditions are disturbed by washing, or that washing is useless. Either way it make one think about our habits.


History 

Showering is a habit from the last century, lets not forget that!
Were we dirty and not caring about how we smelled? There is some truth in how we changed our acceptance of smell. And that change is in my opinion not for the better. We created something unnatural. We started to mask our smell by deodorants, body lotion and perfume. Now we deal with people smelling like flowers or something.
Unnatural I say! People should smell like people!!! 

Sure I agree that my experiment run wild, and as I write this I did not shower for eight months! And feel great and fresh!
I am proud to have been able to make a change for Gaia by refusing to spill water that gave life to this planet! Water is life! Water is sacred!
Call me crazy, or praise me for having the courage to act where others just talk.

If I add the use of my compost toilet, which saves on a daily basis a minimum of 20 liters pure water, I save 90 liters every day! 32.850 liters per year!         
       
Now that I have your attention: do you know a washing machine uses 60 liters per laundry?
And no I am not suggesting to not wash your clothes! But be smart and don´t allow it to run with just a few T-shirts in it. Just load it to the maximum. Being aware is not scary, its fun! Be proud of yourself to be able to make the change!

PS washing your car… 200 liters per 12 minutes… so stop using the hose, use a bucket instead!


"Water... I am sorry, please forgive me, thank you and I love you"

The Ho'opono Pono Prayer

-